History of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated, [AΦA] the first intercollegiate Greek-letter fraternity established for African-Americans, was founded at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York by seven college men who recognized the need for a strong bond of Brotherhood among African descendants in this country. Since its founding on December 4th, 1906, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. has supplied a voice and vision to the struggle of African-Americans and people of color around the world.
The Fraternity initially served as a study and support group for minority students who faced racial prejudice, both educationally and socially, at Cornell. The Jewel founders and early leaders of the Fraternity succeeded in laying a firm foundation for Alpha Phi Alpha's principles of scholarship, fellowship, good character, and the uplifting of humanity.
Alpha Phi Alpha has grown steadily in influence throughout the years. It integrated its racial membership in 1945 and it has expanded mightily to the extent that there are now over 700 chapters with over 100,000 members located throughout the United States, Caribbean Islands, Africa, Asia, Europe, and the West Indies.
For more information on Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. please visit our National Website
For more information on Alpha East, please visit our Eastern Region Website.
For more information on the New York Association for Chapter of Alpha, please visit our the NYACOA Website.